Posted on 08/08/2017
How can you achieve your highest potential as a future professional?
Here are 3 tips that will help anyone get to where they want
Too often, I hear professionals say they rush into a career or study path driven by opportunity and realize after a while it isn’t for them. They feel unhappy and frustrated that they are stuck in a job that ends up being repetitive and boring. Finding a career that will fulfil you over the long term and lead you to reach your highest potential should be the most important choice criteria when choosing a career. That is what guided me to write this article so that we don’t end up making the same mistake.
‘Your highest potential is the highest version of yourself translated into your actions’
That beautiful sentence may be interpreted as a means to translate your “power” as a soul into your daily life. You need to find a career that will allow you to unleash your potential on a daily basis. To do so, I have identified a concept I have built over the years to unleash my highest potential and translate it into my daily decisions and study path.
The Triangle of opportunity
You: Take care of yourself
- Warren Buffet, Forbes’ most influential business investor said, your biggest investment is yourself. By growing your knowledge, your skills, your mental strength, you will find yourself in a position of power and clarity to unleash your highest potential in whatever you are doing. As a student or junior professional, we have time to care for ourselves. Make the best use of it.
- For students, that means spending time translating your potential outside of the classroom. The point is to mix your activities so that you test yourself in various industries and identify where you feel the most complete. However, don’t look for The sole activity that is a perfect match. Indeed, you can find yourself inspired by one aspect and bored by another. That helps you become innovative to combine two activities or choose where to compromise. But it is extremely valuable to be able to test yourself in diverse industries and activities so that you end up knowing yourself better. It can be sports, music, volunteering and even online classes. The goal is to know in which area your potential is fully unleashed and if it’s a match with the life you want.
[Technology, Resources, Jobs: Everything You Need To Know To Make The Best Study Decisions!]
[Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started College]
[The Complete Guide To Finding Your Ideal Business School]
Others: Open up to them
- Over the years, I have been stuck in a mindset that taught me that others were competitors, not allies. It blocked me from relationships that would enrich me and elevate me towards my highest potential. We are all limited when it comes to ourselves and relationships might get us unstuck and grow if we are willing to open up.
- Finbarr Bradley, a former professor at NYU and author of ‘Digging Deeper’, create real value for our economy inspired me to become a more engaged citizen and involved in social activities where I could fully express my potential which I couldn’t have if I didn’t let myself open up to his wisdom.
- What is the first step you should take: you might want to start looking around for your most inspiring professor. It doesn’t have to be a teacher but someone who inspires you to be a better person. Go talk to them, ask them questions about themselves, ask them how they got to where they are now and start imagining yourself in their shoes. You can even send an email, you will get guidance regardless.
You might also like to read 3 Tips to Enrich your Life and the Lives of Others to give you a complete vision of this tip about others.
Luck: Trust your timing
- The third most important factor to unleash your highest potential is to know that what needs to happen will happen at the right time. Indeed, Gary Zuckav says in his book, the Seat of the Soul, that luck is when ‘preparation meets the moment of opportunity’. Trust your timing, relax and start preparing yourself to be ready when the opportunity comes along.
- You reach your highest potential by taking care of yourself and investing time and money in growing your knowledge and skills.
- Do not underestimate the power of the people around you.
- Prepare for the moment of opportunity
- Ask yourself:
- What are you doing to grow your potential?
- Who in your surrounding could help you become the highest version of yourself?