Student Visa Requirements for the Schengen Area | Student Reviews & University Rankings EDUopinions

Student Visa Requirements for the Schengen Area


Now that you have gotten admission in a European country as a student, the next step you would be thinking about is the Schengen visa. There’s a Schengen Student Visa that enables the student to move freely in the Schengen countries

As a student in a European country, with a Schengen Visa, you will be able to move freely within the Schengen countries. EDUopinions knows that travelling in Europe will constitute a big part of your student life. Whether it’s travelling to gain new experiences or travelling to study or even do a job; a valid Visa is crucial to living your life as a student tension free.

EDUopinions is a unique platform where you can read real, verified student reviews about universities from all over the world as well as get free information about them.

Schengen visa

What Is a Schengen Visa?

If you are not a European citizen, then to enter Europe you will need a Schengen Visa. If you plan to study in Europe for a period of 90 or more days, you might also need to obtain a residence permit.

What are the Student Schengen Visa Requirements?

A Student Schengen Visa permits the students to Schengen countries. The 26 Schengen countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

This visa permits third-country nationals to stay in the country for a short number of days under the purpose of studying. This Visa is valid only for 3 months and if your course is longer than that then you need to apply for a long-stay Study Visa at the embassy of the respective country. Only the nationals coming from third countries that have not signed a visa-free agreement with the Schengen Area member states are in need of a Student Schengen Visa.

Read more about this.

Want to Study in a Schengen Country?
Ask Us for University Advice

Documents required for Applying for a student Schengen Visa

In order to apply for a Schengen Visa, you will need the following documents:

  • Valid passport or travel document


  • Proof of Residency:  Some documents showing some sort of proof that you are a citizen or resident of that country.


  • Supporting document regarding accommodation: Showing evidence where you’re staying during your time in the country. These could be dorm contract, rent agreement, letter of invitation


  • At least 2 passport-sized photos


  • Letter of Acceptance to the EU school: A recent, official and signed letter stating your name/type of studies/length of studies/part of a European program if the applicable/number of hours per week


  • Medical/travel insurance valid for your entire stay in Europe


  • Proof of Academic Qualifications: Academic records, attestation of the application


  • A bank receipt to prove you have paid the processing fee


  • Proof of financial Means: This requires documents to show that you will be able to sustain yourself in the country. The proofs can be a scholarship, bank account statement, sponsorship


  • Proof of Paid visa fee

If you’re employed then additional proofs are required:

If employed:

◦ Employment contract

◦ Leave permission from the employer

◦ Income Tax Return

If self-employed:

◦ A copy of your business license,

◦ Company’s bank statement of the latest 6 months

◦ Income Tax Return (ITR)

If a student:

◦ Proof of enrollment

◦ No Objection Letter from University

You can read more here.

Long Stay Visa

If you’re planning to stay longer than 91 days, then you will have to apply for a long stay visa at the Embassy of the country you are going to study. It carries the same provisions as the Schengen Visa but allows the person to stay in the Schengen country from 90 days to 365 days. This is suitable for students pursuing a course for 9 to 12 months.

Looking to Study in Europe?
We Provide Free Advice on Universities

Residence Permit

This Permit is needed for international students who want to stay even longer than the period of 365 days. If you’re pursuing an undergraduate programme for three years or even an MPhil, then you will most likely require the residence permit. Process for every country varies quite a bit and your intended country will require you to have the residence visa sorted before you come to study in the said country.

What is the Student Schengen Visa fee?

When you apply for a Schengen Visa, then take note that the fee for applying is non-refundable irrespective of you getting your visa or not. The visa costs vary depending on the type of visa and age of the applicant as well as some other exceptions. The fees can be paid via a debit or credit card, however, some places might not allow a debit/credit card.

The fee for an Adult is €60. If the person holds a diplomatic, official or service passport then his visa will be processed for free. For nationals from Georgia, Kosovo, Russia, and Ukraine their fee is slightly less and is €35.

When Should You Apply For a Schengen Visa?

It’s best to be prepared and apply it as soon as you can. Even though the official time for processing a Schengen visa is 15 days. However, in some cases, it can take a little bit longer. So to avoid last minute nasty surprises, apply for a visa as soon as you can.

Can a Student work under the Schengen Visa?

No, one cannot work under this visa. If you get a long-stay visa or a residency visa then you can work for some amount of hours per week. But, no Schengen state will allow a student to work full time under the student visa.

These are the rules for applying to a Schengen visa as a student. At EDUopinions, we advise students to do a good amount of research before studying abroad. After getting accepted, the first thing to look at is how to apply for a student visa. Make sure all your documents are in order and ask your university to help out if you feel you need anything.

Need Help Choosing a University?
Chat to Our Higher Education Experts
Featured Content
Written by
Nikita is one of the main authors at EDUopinions, specialised in Higher Education and focused on business studies analysis. She is a digital nomad who works while travelling.

Recent Posts

Get our experts advice for free.
Contact us.
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Review our Privacy Policy for more details.